CF&A advises its customers in areas of high level of expertise. Our work as a team enables us to provide a full service to our clients, particularly by using our collective experience and know-how in the different areas of our practice.
Although our services will continue to expand, we offer our clients the assurance of proficient partner-led high quality services and our experience grows due to the needs of our clients.
Corporate, Commercial and M&A
CF&A is able to provide a wide range of legal services in corporate, commercial and M&A areas at both national and international levels.
- The areas in which we have most experience are:
- Incorporation of companies;
Share transfers, transfer of businesses, MBA’s and assets transfers.
Specifically in the area of mergers and acquisitions, CF&A’s professionals have a vast experience in performing due diligence procedures (limited or global) to companies, including in acquisitions, investment and privatizations, which involve the analysis and review of all type of corporate and contractual documentation, as well as the follow up, in multiple countries, of national and international merger and acquisition procedures.
Contracts and commercial transactions both at a national and international level, as well as the following up on the day-to-day business of our Clients are a significant part of our daily activity, in the majority of the cases with the involvement of multinational companies.
Banking and Capital Markets
CF&A has rendered advice in multiple banking and financial operations, through its vast experience in corporate finance and financial services.
CF&A also acts for many companies in their relationship with banks and international financial institutions, as well as credit institutions and financial companies.
The complexity of national and international taxation rules determines an increasing need for expert tax advice, which assumes a crucial role in the modern market, as it develops into more complex transactions. Our experience dictates that every business transaction always has direct or indirect tax consequences, which require an efficient tax planning, identification of the most tax efficient structures in order to avoid future unnecessary liabilities.
CF&A provides strategic advice at every stage of the transactions, on all aspects of domestic and international tax, in co-ordination with our other practice areas, providing a tax-related advice as part of an integrated service, as well as direct advice to the clients. We provide tax advice on a wide range of tax issues, including national and international M&A and restructuring operations of enterprise groups.
Real Estate / Property / Construction
CF&A has a wide experience in all matters associated investment with construction and real estate development and our team provides a full spread of services including:
- Real estate investment operations, mergers and acquisitions and performance of the corresponding due diligences;
- Monitoring the installation, exploitation and operation of tourism projects (shopping centers, hotels, tourism development project and golf courses);
- Preparing and negotiating real estate agreements, purchase and sale agreements, sale and lease-back agreements, call options and surface rights’ transfer;
- Preparing and negotiating public works’ contracts, designs and necessary supervision;
- Real estate financing operations and the preparation of the respective guarantees;
- Assistance in the issuance of all necessary licenses and permits during the construction phases, all aspects related to environmental and industrial licensing.
CF&A has the required expertise and experience which allows us to provide a full range of services, namely in the following matters:
- Daily advice on legal matters;
- Legal support on companies’ restructuring processes, including collective dismissals and individual redundancies, lay-off and others;
- Management of labor relations (including functional and geographical mobility, fringe benefits and preparation of bonus incentive plans and stock option purchase plans);
- Advice on disciplinary proceedings and subsequent representation in court;
- Assistance in meetings with trade unions and employers’ associations (collective bargaining);
- Work accidents, occupational safety and health;
- Advice on hiring foreign workers and legalization;
- Labor due diligences;
- Employment litigation;
- Preparation and review of employment contracts;
- Social Security.
Administrative Law & Public Procurement
We have extensive experience in administrative law and in the area of public law, providing assistance to our clients in all sorts of contacts with the Mozambique public authorities in areas such as:
- Public Works;
- Supply Contracts;
- Public Partnership – Private and Private Finance Initiative.
Our team also provides pre-litigation advice and we represent our clients before public authorities and agencies, as well as in all disputes arising from lawsuits.
With reference to the procurement area, our activity is mainly directed to public works and contracts for the supply of goods and services, regarding which we are able to give advice of contract formation, particularly by providing all necessary assistance in public fenders, through the preparation of proposals and all documentation required by law, plus their negotiation and settlement of potential disputes.
We also have experience in licensing procedures; including the licensing of units, form commercial, industrial and tourism purposes, providing support in all phases of the administrative procedures.
Finally, regarding urbanism, our experience includes, among others, assistance in licensing procedures for private works and expropriations.
Energy and Natural Resources
These areas are known for their complexity, requiring an extensive knowledge of the market to deal with its volatility.
CF&A has extensive experience in the areas of Energy and Natural Resources, providing to its customers a wide range of services in this area.
Beyond the areas of Oil & Gas, we also have experience in the area of Mining Law, assisting the installation of international clients in Mozambique.
Dispute Resolution / Arbitration / Litigation
CF&A has an experienced litigation team, which advises and assists cases in all areas of law covered by the firm, both before national and international courts, as well as arbitration tribunals.
Notwithstanding the vast experience our associates have in this area, CF&A values the possibility of performing out-of-court settlements, as a fair and effective way of resolving disputes, which also lead to a cost reduction regarding court fees and avoid long waiting periods.
Our most relevant expertise and experience include:
- Criminal litigation;
- Tax and public (administrative) disputes;
- Employment disputes;
- National and international arbitration proceedings;
- Enforcement of foreign judgments;
- Assistance in civil and commercial court litigation, including, among others, torts, contracts, credit recovery, landlord and tenant, inheritance, commercial, bankruptcy and company recovery, from first instance jurisdiction through to Supreme Court appeals.
CF&A provides all services in the following areas:
- Patents (including research, filing, prosecution, enforcement and allocation);
- Domain name registration;
- Registration of company names;
- Internet Law;
- Rights’ database;
- Due Diligence and audits;
- Intellectual property litigation;
- Tax advice on intellectual property.